This site is privately owned and is neither affiliated with, nor endorsed by, nor operated by any government agency.

How Long Do I Have to Work For to Collect Unemployment in South Dakota?

To qualify for unemployment insurance in SD, you must have worked during at least two quarters of the base period. You also must earn a minimum HQW of $728. Further, you have to earn an additional amount of 20 times the weekly benefit amount (WBA) outside of your HQW.

The minimum weekly benefit amount is $28, which is computed by multiplying the minimum HQW by 1/26.

Therefore, your total base period earnings must be at least the minimum HQW of $728 plus the additional minimum of 20 times the WBA of $28, which equals $560. This amounts to a total base period earnings of $1,288.

South Dakota offers an alternate base period, which considers the last four completed calendar quarters in the base period (instead of the first four). SD also offers an extended base period for those who received worker’s compensation and file an unemployment insurance claim within 24 months of first being disabled/injured. For those who qualify, the base period is extended to the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters preceding the date of being injured/disabled.

In South Dakota an employer or employing unit is covered under unemployment insurance if it paid at least $1,500 in wages during any calendar quarter in the current or previous calendar year. Further, an employer/employing unit is also covered under unemployment insurance if it paid wages to at least one employee and employed said worker at least one day per week during the 20 weeks of the current or previous calendar year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *