This site is privately owned and is neither affiliated with, nor endorsed by, nor operated by any government agency.

How Long Do I Have to Work For to Collect Unemployment in Montana?

Montana defines an employer as having paid at least $1,000 in wages during the current or previous year.

Montana requires you to have earned at least 1.5 times your HQW within the entire base period. You also must have earned a minimum total base period wages of at least 7% of the average annual wages (AAW) of Montana.

The AAW of MTĀ is $36,286

Therefore, the minimum base period earnings for Montana is $2,540 and the minimum HQW is $1,693.


Your total base period earnings must have been at least 50% of the AAW.

50% of the AAW is $18,143

Montana offers both an extended base period and an alternate base period. The alternate base period considers the last four completed calendar quarters (instead of the first four). The extended base period is available to those who file an unemployment insurance claim within 24 months of being injured/disabled. If you qualify, your base period may be extended up to four quarters before being disabled/injured.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *