Nevada Unemployment Information – Benefits, Eligibility etc.

Nevada unemployment insurance is meant to replace income on a limited, temporary basis. The program has two goals: to maintain economic stability during a recession; and to help those who lose their jobs.

As is the case in all states, Nevada unemployment benefits are subject to strict rules and guidelines enforced by the state. In Nevada, unemployment is managed by the Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation (DETR). Before filing for unemployment benefits in Nevada, it’s important to know about eligibility requirements, where to go for help, and what information you will be asked to provide. Being informed and prepared will increase your chances of having your unemployment benefits claim approved.


Before applying for unemployment benefits in Nevada, your eligibility status must be determined. The requirements in Nevada closely resemble those of other states, and include, but are not limited to:

  • You must be unemployed through no fault of your own
  • You must be physically and mentally able to work when you file a claim
  • You must be available to look for and accept work in line with your usual occupation
  • You must have earned enough within the base period* of your claim
  • You must not be employed full-time
  • You must not refuse work that is offered to you

*The base period is the twelve-month period established by law during which you have been paid wages. Find more information here: http://www.detr.state.nv.us/ESD%20Pages/glossary.htm#BASE_PERIOD

The initial requirement—being unemployed through no fault of your own—is fairly straightforward. It typically applies to layoffs, reduction in hours due to lack of work, your company going out of business, or the company being sold and reducing the workforce.

While illness or injury could also cause no-fault job loss, they do not make you eligible for unemployment benefits. In the case of injury or illness, you must file a workmans compensation claim.

In addition, you may still be eligible for unemployment benefits if you voluntarily left a job due to a hostile work environment, harassment, or other similar circumstance. However, these types of claims would require an investigation, and payment of your benefits could be delayed, but would most likely be made retroactive to the date of separation if the investigation proved misconduct on the part of the employer.

If you are dismissed from your job due to misconduct on your part, you may still file a claim for unemployment benefits. However, your former employer will likely deny your claim, in which case, if you believe you have been falsely accused, or wrongly denied unemployment benefits, you may appeal the decision.

Applying for Benefits

While it’s still possible to apply for benefits in person and over the phone, you also have the option of filing a claim online. You must provide information such as:

  • your social security number
  • names and addresses of your last two employers
  • dates of employment for your last two employers

You will also have to provide information about the circumstances under which you lost your employment, and whether you have sought any new employment.

File a claim for Nevada unemployment benefits here: http://www.ui.nvdetr.org/UI_Agreement.html

If you prefer to file by phone, you may use one of these numbers:

Northern Nevada: (775) 684-0350
Southern Nevada: (702) 486-0350
Long Distance or Interstate: (888) 890-8211

Unemployment Payments

If you are approved to receive Nevada unemployment benefits, you will most likely be issued an EPPI card. Many states, including Nevada, use the EPPI card to issue unemployment benefits. It’s a prepaid debit card, but because it has either a VISA or MasterCard logo, it can be used practically anywhere for nearly anything from groceries to gas to other household bills, and even at ATMs.

This is the preferred method of issuing benefits because it’s more secure than mailing checks, and provides beneficiaries with immediate funds when the card is reloaded. It also saves the DETR money that would otherwise be spent printing and mailing checks.

Find out more about the EPPI card here: http://www.eppicard.com

vIf you’d rather receive your unemployment benefits via a method other than the prepaid debit card, you’ll need to call DETR and speak to a customer service representative.

Weekly Certification

Once your unemployment claim has been approved, you must certify your status on a weekly basis in order to continue to receive benefits. This is to prevent people from receiving benefits even after they’ve found new work. In addition, you must remember to certify weekly. If you don’t, your unemployment benefits payments may be delayed. The weekly certification process requires you to answer questions such as:

  • Did you work during the last week?
  • Did you look for work during the last week?
  • Did you make any income during the last week?

You must answer these questions honestly, or you may be subject to repercussions. It’s best to keep a log of your job search activity every week—resumes you sent out, interviews you went on—and have it ready should anyone at DETR request that information.

You may claim unemployment benefits for 26 weeks. After that time, if you are still unemployed, you may file for an extension of benefits, but there is no guarantee your request will be approved.


If your claim for unemployment benefits was denied, you have the ability to appeal the ruling. You must file your appeal within 11 days of the date the decision to deny benefits was made. If your appeal is approved, you may have to attend a hearing during which you will be able to state your case about why your claim for unemployment benefits should be approved. Be prepared to give evidence to support your case, such as dates of employment, witnesses to any employer misconduct, or any other information that will substantiate your claim.

For more information, you may call the Appeals Office directly:

Las Vegas: (702) 486-7933
Reno: (775)823-6660
Northern Nevada: (866) 626-0610
Southern Nevada: (866) 626-0629

Contact Nevada DETR
2800 E. St. Louis Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89104

500 East Third Street
Carson City, NV 89713

Phone Numbers

Northern Nevada: (775) 684-0350
Southern Nevada: (702) 486-0350
Long Distance or Interstate: (888) 890-8211
TTY Hearing Impaired Services:
Northern Nevada Claim Center: (775) 687-1109
Southern Nevada Claim Center: (702) 486-0157


Here are more resources pertaining to Nevada unemployment:

Nevada Unemployment Law

Nevada Unemployment Insurance Handbook for Claimants (PDF document)

Nevada Unemployment Forms

File Unemployment Claims Online

Northern Nevada Emergency Resource Guide (PDF document)

Southern Nevada Emergency Resource Guide

Report Nevada Unemployment Insurance Fraud

Nevada Workforce Informer

Frequently Asked Questions About the EPPI Card

  1. Hugo November 22, 2012

    If you are receiving CONTRIBUTIONS-based JSA, you MAY be able to cnntioue claiming it if you are going to Europe TO LOOK FOR WORK but you will probably have to give at least 4 weeks’ notice; there are various forms to be completed and letters to take with you to the equivalent of Jobcentreplus in the European country you are going to. Please note that there may be only certain European countries where we have reciprocal arrangements.If you DO qualify for your JSA Contributions-based to be exported, you will only get the same equivalent rate as you currently get in the UK; if the standard of living is higher in the country you go to, you may find yourself financially worse off than staying in the UK.In addition, your JSA would still exhaust at the same time as it would if you stayed in the UK regardless of whether the other country’s benefit entitlement would otherwise last for a longer period.If you only get INCOME-based JSA, you will not be able to export this benefit if you go abroad.

    • Yman August 26, 2014

      what does deny w/ relief means?

  2. amy kelso September 21, 2013

    I received two letters one said: You are entitled to benefits from 8/18/13, if otherwise eligible. The second letter said: You are not entitled to benefits effective 8/18/13 until i return to work in covered employment and earn at least $212.00 in each of 10 weeks. Etc. Please let me know do i get benefits or do i not receive benefits.

  3. michael h.brooks October 1, 2013

    My son Michael Brooks hasn’t been able to get through to get the unemployment, we have been with out mail since 6-13-13 702-504-6018

  4. Namejohnkelly November 19, 2013

    Trying to re open my claim

  5. Marty November 21, 2013

    How do I change my tax status from taxes taken out of my unemployment benefits to no taxes withheld ? I would be in a better position if I paid my taxes due, in tax season 20014.

  6. Kevin March 7, 2014

    I worked in ca last year made 18thousand. Can I get unemployment from ca?

  7. Dustin May 23, 2014

    I had just filed a few weeks ago as I seperated from Cox Communications here in Las Vegas. I just peeked into my account through the website and the determination says “Deny w/ Relief” in those exact words and symbols. What does this mean? I am thinking optimistically that Cox is denying or fighting me, but the w/ relief part means that they are giving it to me anyway. But worst case, I am denied…what does the “w/ relief” mean? Weird wording either way. Thanks for your help

  8. bala June 19, 2014

    SO @dustin did you get your benefits…i have the same thing too.

    • jme October 30, 2014

      Deny w/ relief, anyone figure out what that means yet?

  9. kane August 29, 2014

    i was approved and received benefits for 4 weeks. now they are saying i refused work 4 weeks ago… how is this possible?

  10. Katherine November 26, 2014

    Have NEVER received my DEBIT card and cannot get any information by calling 877-829-4130…they want the card number and pin #, all automated…even if you do not put any numbers in…keeps saying they haven’t gotten the number and after about three times of this the number just hangs up……and no way to actually speak to anyone…any ideas ion how to get my card?